“Four pints of mulled mead–”
-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, J.K. Rowling
There’s nothing better than curling up on a winter evening with a mug of steaming mulled mead…
Actually, what would make it better is if we were in the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade while having the drink. But until that happens, we’ll just imagine we’re there with this recipe.
Mead is an alcoholic fermented honey drink with a long history. Dating back thousands of years, mead is one drink that seems to not be connected to any one country or culture. Hobbit fans will also recognize the drink, as well as those who have read Game of Thrones (Martin), The Sword in the Stone (White) and American Gods(Gaiman)
- ¼ cup brandy
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 750ml bottle mead
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- a few whole cloves
- 1 lemon, scrubbed then sliced
- 1 orange, scrubbed then sliced
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients.
- Give a good stir, and heat until it just reaches a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer to remove the whole spices and fruit, into a heatproof pitcher to serve.
Love Harry Potter? You might also like: