“RAINBOW DROPS — SUCK THEM AND YOU CAN SPIT IN SIX DIFFERENT COLOURS.”
-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl
Why is it that candy that’s coloured like a rainbow, only tastes like basic flavours. Like strawberry, blueberry and apple? I mean, if rainbows could be any flavour you wanted, what would they taste like?
Here’s the colours of the rainbow. Think about it and let me know what your perfect magical rainbow would taste like!
I started making these as hard candies flavoured with the basics- strawberry, apple, etc. Then I realised, hang on, this is Wonka! As an adult it’s so easy for you brain to sometimes just go with what you’ve known (especially with cooking), and so much harder to let loose and imagine the impossible.
Instead of hard candies, I imagined them like rain drops from rainbows. So I made gel drops. Using agar and a process called cold oil spherification (it’s way easier than it sounds!), you can turn any liquid into these rainbow drops. I did one that tasted of Peanut Butter & Jam, another I used a pumpkin pie infusion that I had made earlier. You can use juices, alcohol, even vinegar if that’s what you imagine!
- 100g liquid
- 1.5g Agar
- oil (vegetable, olive)
- kitchen scales
- slotted spoon
- candy thermometer
- Two tall glasses
- Fill a tall glass with oil.
- Place in the freezer for an hour to chill.
- Mix together your liquid/flavour and weigh for the correct amount.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, pour in the liquid and sprinkle on the agar powder.
- Stir and let come to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and place in candy thermometer.
- Wait for the temperature to drop to between 50-55C or 122-131F.
- Pull out the oil from the freezer, use a pipette and drop the liquid into the oil (I found I dropped 2-3 liquid drops together). As they drop through the oil, they'll form into spheres.
- Grab another tall glass, hold a slotted soon over to catch the rainbow drops, and drain the oil through.
- Set aside the rainbow drops, rinse in cold water.
- The oil will float on top making it easy to pour out.
- Drain and repeat with other colours and flavours.
- To store, pop into a container and keep them in the fridge.
I purchased the Molecule-R Cuisine Kit from Amazon
And followed the recipe from here: http://www.molecularrecipes.com/gelification/sriracha-pearls-cold-oil-spherification/