So, they went and went and came to a little table. And there on a green table was Afternoon Tea! There were hundreds of lemon-cakes on it!
-Mary Poppins, P.L. Travers
You think you know your stories. Until you go and read them and find your version is completely Disney based!
I was reading the tea-party-through-the-picture scene thinking, “but there’s no penguins… how can there be no penguins?!” And could you imagine your life without Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious or A Spoonful of Sugar? As sweet as the book was to read (again? Or maybe it was for the first time…), can you imagine the stories you know without Disney?
- ½ cup butter, room temp
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cup plan flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 1 tbsp lemon zest or 1 tsp natural lemon essence
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Cream the butter then gradually mix in the sugar. Sift in the flour and baking powder, and stir in the milk.
- Finally whisk the egg whites until frothy and stir into the batter along with the lemon zest.
- Pour into mini cake pans, or cupcake pans and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool and serve with a shake of sifted icing sugar on top.