Our home reflects who we are, so it only makes sense to extend our style to our front door. Follow along today with this easy DIY literary doormat tutorial. I’ve included a template for a Hobbit themed doormat, however it’s easy to design your own.
What you’ll need:
- This Hobbit quote (A3 file will automatically download) or your own quote of choice
- contact paper
- extra plain A4 or A3 paper (optional: you’ll need this if your printer needs something to grab hold of)
- scissors and/or x-acto knife
- acrylic paint
- brushes– I used small old eye makeup brushes to get the detail. The doormat material is quite difficult to paint otherwise.
- Cut contact paper to printer size (either A4 or A3) and flatten with books if the edges curl upwards.
- If your printer doesn’t do well with running contact paper through, use a bit of tape to attach plain paper to the shiny side to help the printer grip the contact paper as it goes through.
- Print your text out so it prints on the non shiny side, and prints in reverse.
- Use scissors and/ or an x-acto knife to cut out the letters, and discard. You’ll be using the negative space you cut out.
- Peel back the contact paper backing and press the adhesive side down onto the doormat.
- If needed, use pins to hold the contact paper into place.
- Use your eye makeup brush to dab acrylic paint up and down into the negative space. Don’t make a sweeping motion, otherwise you might shift the contact paper edges and paint past the lines.
- Remove the contact paper and pins, and let dry.
You might also like these other posts